Friday, April 10, 2009

step1 experience-against all odds

Looking back, one of the best decisions I took was to join the local Kaplan centre. The blues of leaving NHS and the Britain just began to sink me; I missed the on-calls, the patients and our team… most importantly my "small-world" I got so used to. In addition to my career taking a major shift or going back to basics, our family was recovering from the hard reality of the sudden loss of one of my parents. So joining the Centre Prep helped me immensely to overcome the distractions and to focus.

My Prep involved - Kaplan lectures, notes and the PLS. I followed it up with practicing as many qs I could...UW,Kaplan Q bank mostly then Rapid Review, Student consult, Lippincott’s, and Prep4usmle forum etc. Last but not the least that I got hold of was the Goljan lectures, just one month before the exam. Dr.Goljan integrated the subject very well it was more like Patho- physiology, Biochemistry, Immunology etc combined.I kind of liked it a lot and tried to listen to him as much I could like even during a walk, or while doing chores etc and it was worth it...and Goljan is fun to listen to too.

To Summarize, I gave three readings to Kaplan notes and practiced it with as many qs I could.

The exam day: Amasingly I had good 6 hr sound sleep the night before, woke up fresh in the morning.Prayed once again with family,reached centre on time,went to my seat about half past eight in the morning. The proctor at my desk-top gave a brief orientation to the equipment, started the exam with clock ticking before I sat or settled down... it caused more adrenalin rush but I managed to pace myself. Also the block finished five minutes ahead so I had sufficient time to review first few questions.. I felt the first few and last blocks were easier than the 3rd or 4th block in which I had to rush with time …Overall on an average I felt about 10 qs per block were very difficult and 5-10 q moderate, remaining easy.

Thankfully eight hours passed pretty quickly, having answered all qs returned home relieved. Following days I too began to remember all the wrong answers, felt anxious now and then:) The result was out in exactly three weeks… well it was YES 99 in deed. What a joy it is to share...

hope this helps .. I will be back soon with my step2-ck experience until then... God Bless!

PS:
feel free to comment or give your feed back.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your score!!
    I took my step 1 in Feb this year. Preparing to take my step 2 in June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! very best wishes for your ck

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your share,you have a very inspiring story..good luck with your applications.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in the future and Life.

    God Bless you

    Dr.Mike

    ReplyDelete